-By Heather Young
Quarterly event brings the arts to Atascadero
–On a mild spring evening at the start of Atascadero Unified School District’s spring break and the Friday before Easter, downtown Atascadero came alive on a usually quiet night. The quarterly Atascadero Art & Wine Tour drew crowds of people to businesses along Traffic Way and Entrada Avenue.
“[The tour is] terrific,” said Jenni Shiers of 805 Vintage and Thrift at 5945 Entrada Ave. “It’s always good. it’s a really fun event.”
The tour began in May 2008 with participating businesses around Atascadero, now it encompasses only businesses within the downtown area, all within walking distance. The event went under the umbrella of Atascadero Main Street Association in 2009 and changed its named to the Atascadero Art & Wine Tour soon after.
“It’s been pretty busy,” said Tara Polizzi, whose hand-crafted jewelry was on exhibit at Violette Wings & Giftey Things on Entrada Avenue. “It’s fun. It’s the first time I’ve had my necklaces out and it’s been pretty good.
Many of the businesses had both artists and wineries, in addition to offering visitors light snacks as they wandered from shop to shop with wine glass in mind, with tour map in hand. Atascadero Main Street Association sold wristbands for unlimited wine tasting and a commemorative wine glass for $15 at the corner of Entrada Avenue and El Camino Real. All funds raised to go the nonprofit.
“I love the Atascadero art and wine tour,” Atascadero resident Michele Coombs said. “It gives me the chance to go into the local shops and buy local.”
The next two art & wine tours will be on Friday, June 3 and Friday, Sept. 9 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. For more information, go to www.atascadero.org.
Participating businesses, artists and wineries
- City Administration Building: Atascadero Historical Society with Vintage Cowboy Winery
- Arlyne’s Flowers & Gifts: Bonnie Wilkins’ cards with Pomar Junction Vineyard & Winery
- Rhonda’s Relics: Claudia Mapes with River Star Vineyards
- Violette Wings & Giftey Things: Native Creativity with Christian Lazo Wines
- Farron Elizabeth: Adam Welch with Bristols Cider
- 805 Vintage & Thrift: 805 Tye Dye with Opolo Winery
- Local Love Boutique: Aaron Christensen with Eberle Winery
- Bella Cosé Boutique: Robert Hall Winery
- Wilkins’ Action Graphics: Spring boutique with Felton Cellars
- Street Side Ale House: Castoro Cellars
- The Carlton Hotel: Sculpterra bronze and paintings with Sculpterra Winery and Dubost Ranch
- The Book Odyssey: Art books with Blue Belly Estates
- 805 Boardshop: Justin Batten with Soaring Hawk Vineyards
- Boyd & Bradley Art Studio: Atascadero Art Association with Powell Mountain Cellars
- Grape Encounters Empourium: Annie Wilson Photography with St. Hillaire Vineyard
- Stellar Vapes: Neal Portlock with Ruby Cellars