-Painting can be a fun and rewarding do-it-yourself project, but it can also be a frustrating and time-consuming experience, especially when someone starts the project without important information about necessary tools and supplies, or knowing about paint and the painting process. George Borlodan, the Atascadero painter with Borlodan Painting Company has prepared a report to help make the job a little easier for do-it-yourself painters or to know when to throw down the paintbrush and call for professional help.
The most common mistakes start with skipping the preparation work, thinking shortcuts are okay, and winding up with an unsatisfactory final paint job.
- Skipping the preparation is one of the most common painting mistakes. Proper prep work sets the stage for a successful or unsuccessful project and includes cleaning the surfaces to be painted, repairing any damaged areas, and priming the surfaces. Skipping any of these steps can result in a poor-quality paint job that doesn’t adhere properly, peels or cracks over time. So, be sure to take the time to properly prepare the surface before painting.
- Choosing the wrong paint can also result in a poor-quality paint job. For example, using interior paint on an exterior surface can cause it to peel or fade quickly. Similarly, using the wrong finish can make the paint job look uneven or patchy. Always choose the right type of paint for the job, and consider factors such as weather, surface material, and intended use.
- Using poor-quality paint or tools is another common mistake. Cheap paint and tools may seem like a good bargain, but they can actually cost more in the long run. Poor quality paint may not cover the surface properly, requiring multiple coats, and cheap tools may leave behind brush strokes, uneven coverage, break or even shed, leaving brush fibers behind. Invest in high-quality paint and tools, and be rewarded with a better-looking and longer-lasting paint job. “Another mistake is not taking care of the tools,” says the Atascadero painter. “Clean them, dry them and store them properly and they last for a long time.”
- Not applying enough coats can result in a patchy or uneven finish, while applying too much can cause drips and other imperfections. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the number of coats required, and be sure to wait for each coat to dry before applying the next one.
- Not allowing enough drying time between coats or before the first coat are common mistakes. Rushing to apply a second coat or using the surface too soon can cause the paint to smudge or peel. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for drying time, and avoid touching or using the surface until the paint is fully dry.
- Using painter’s tape incorrectly, or worse, not using it at all, can also result in a poor-quality paint job. When applying painter’s tape, be sure to press it down firmly and use a straight edge to ensure a clean, straight line. Remove the tape while the paint is still wet, pulling it at a 45-degree angle to avoid pulling off any dried paint.
- Ignoring safety precautions is another common painting mistake that can lead to serious injury. Always wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator when working with paint and paint-related products. Use ladders and scaffolding properly, and never exceed the weight limit. Additionally, be sure to properly dispose of any paint or paint-related materials according to local regulations.
- Finally, not cleaning up properly after the painting project is complete can result in a messy and disorganized workspace. Be sure to properly dispose of any paint and paint-related materials, and clean your tools and work area thoroughly. This will not only make the workspace safer but also helps to ensure that tools and materials last longer.
The Atascadero painting team from Borlodan Painting has been serving the Central Coast since 2005. Every project is undertaken with a commitment to excellence and customer satisfaction. Whether the project is painting furnishings to fit into a home décor, or repainting an entire agricultural complex, the goal is to deliver an excellent job for a fair price, respect you and your property and leave a clean, uncluttered workplace when the job is done.
Borlodan Painting Company
6205 Via Huerto Ct
Atascadero, CA 93422